My History

Thursday, January 3, 2008

2007 Year End Book Review

This post is of the books that we have read this year, and our best and worst selections. Corey and I are both avid readers and would like to read much more than we actually have the opportunity to. If Shayla was able to do a post like this it would put ours to shame I'm sure. However, we hope next year won't be so darn crazy and hard as this year was and our lists can be longer.

Corey

Lord of the Rings (all three)
Last of the Mohican's
A Tale of Two Cities
1984
Of Mice and Men
Harry Potter 1-7 and 7 twice
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
Believing Christ
When Times are Tough
Wuthering Heights
Treasure Island
Meet you in Hell (this one was great... for me to poop on) - direct quote from Corey-For further explanation as to the subject on contents of this book, please submit your inquiries as comments on the Burton family blog.
Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
A Christmas Carol
The Scarlet Letter
Selections of Edgar Allen Poe

Ashlee

Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
Mansfield Park
Little Women
Wuthering Heights
Harry Potter 6 and 7 (#7 twice)
Jesus the Christ
The Screwtape Letters
Chronicles of Narnia (the first 3)
The Mormon Way of Doing Business
Work and the Glory #1
The Journal of the Trail
Roots

COREY BEST

Obviously atop my list sits Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Although these books romantize Satanic practices of sorcery and witchcraft, they also teach numerous good principles and I highly recommend them.

A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens: A beautiful stories that contains one of my favorite literary characters of all time, Mr. Sidney Carton.

ASHLEE BEST

I think I have two favorite reads of the year. First spot has to go to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The long awaited finale of my favorite book series ever did not dissapoint. For those of you who have not jumped on the Harry Potter bandwagon yet for whatever reason need to get into those books. They really are as good as everyone say. Although if you do start reading them now I pity you not having to wait the years in between to get the next book. The build up is half of the fun. Heck I am pretty sure that reading this last book is what sent me into labor with Alaster finally, so... what more can I say?

Secondly I recommend Little Women. One of my favorite reads of all time actually. I have never fallen in love with a character like I fell in love with Beth. I was endeared to her in everyway, and I loved the other girls and their stories too. Such a feel-gooder which is what I'm all about :)

COREY WORST

Meet you in Hell. I enjoy history very much, but this telling of the relationship between Andrew Carnegie and his second in command: Clay Frick, was the most agonizingly boring assignment that I have ever been given.

Of Mice and Men. ALthough considered a literary classic, I would only recommend it if you really had a hankering for the most severe case of depression.

ASHLEE WORST

I honestly didn't have a "worst," book this year, so instead I'm going to tell you about my "most depressing read ever." book. Roots would have to take the cake on that. The things that the characters in this book are subjected too is such evil as I had never supposed could ever exist, even though I knew about the slave trade and slavery. Reading the gruesome horrors has shocked me and made me so sad. It's a good book don't get me wrong, but my little heart can't take all that. If I weren't reading it for a very specific purpose I would have had to stop. Normally books like this are too much for me.

We would love to hear all of your book recommendations too!

4 comments:

Lindsi said...

Ashlee, The face that Roots is on of the most depressing books you've ever read makes me love you even more than I already do. When I student taught in sixth grade I taught the book Roots. I never really thought anything about it being severe punishment but there was a little girl in my class that would cry when we would read it. She was so tender hearted. She reminds me of you. :) Good recommendations from you both. Thanks.

coryshay said...

You inspired me!! I officially am going to read Little Women and Tale of Two Cities this year. Those both have been on my to read list for years but I have never done it! This is the year! I think I'll do a post like this, too, but both your lists are plenty impressive--no shaming anywhere...

coryshay said...

Corey, I accept your Harry Potter challenge, and I am quite looking forward to it! :)

coryshay said...

P.S. Ashlee, I would love to see what you think of the Mitford series. If you like feel-gooders those are the books. I enjoyed them.