We walk in and Corey says "Oh can you SMELL that?!?" We soak in the booky smell and peruse our favorite sections.


Speaking of books...
Jack is at the age now where he enjoys sitting and listening to me read REAL stories, not just like board books or the ones that are geared more to toddlers. So before nap time yesterday I thought I would go look through some of my old book collection and I found this little treasure:

Do you remember it? It was SUPER popular for a while, but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. I got it way back when, and haven't had cause to remember it much since until this week. I have read it to Jack twice, and he really likes it.
After we read it the first time I remembered why I loved it so much. I can't help but cry every time I read it. It's such a beautiful, simple message, but very needed in today's society.
In stake conference last week someone re-told a story that Jeffrey R Holland once gave. I tried to find it but couldn't, so forgive me my re-tell of a re-telling.
It was an analogy about how we are all out on the water in our boats, and sometimes we see someone who has flipped out of their boat and is drowning. It seems our nature is to row over, take our oars and start beating them down instead of helping them up. Whether it was their own fault or not they are still drowning, and those of us who have had the good fortune of being able to stay in our boats should row over to HELP not hurt.
Anyway I have been learning a lot more about how Heavenly Father feels about us, and how we ought to treat eachother. I'm resolved to do less hitting of other people with my oars, and to put away my boxes of star and dot stickers.
I want to develop that gift that some have (I know several people like this and I bet you do too) who can look at other people and see what Heavenly Father sees, not just what is so apparent before our earthly eyes, and to treat them like who they REALLY are.
I also am trying to visit more with Eli, and to stop letting those darn stickers stick to me.
Don't you love a good childrens book?
No comments:
Post a Comment