My History

Monday, November 3, 2008

Standing

Last night Corey and I watched the news, and my heart broke a little bit as I watched a story that had been prepared on "Mormon's against Proposition 8." Three LDS mothers of gay children were holding a rally on SLC library's grounds on a Sunday evening actively speaking out against the churches stance on proposition 8 and gay marriage. Many church members attended.

Being a little shocked and shaken by seeing this story that I didn't think could ever happen, I started looking online to see what other church members were saying on the issue.

What I saw broke my heart.

Corey and I talked about the cunning plan of Satan. How an issue like this so PERFECTLY illustrates how GOOD he is at his job.

I wondered if I were a member in California what I would be doing. I know I would for sure be voting FOR proposition 8, but beyond that... what else? Would I have the courage to talk to my friends and neighbors about it? My natural instincts would be to vote how I knew I should, but then to just avoid the issue with people. I wouldn't want to offend, or find myself arguing etc. It's the same type of feeling that would normally keep me from doing a blog post about something like this.

Then I remembered my baptismal covenants and how I covenanted with Heavenly Father that I would STAND as a witness of God. I also remembered my temple covenants and the desire that I have to fulfill them, as I wondered if those mothers at the rally would lose their recommends.

I thought of early church history and the issues that sometimes kept them from being united. I thought of the Prophet Joseph and all the persecution he went through for STANDING. I thought of those who stood WITH him, and those who took an easier road and lost their loyalty. I didn't think that in our day we would have issues which could likewise divide the members of the church. I was wrong, and it made me scared, and sad to realize that.

My patriarchal blessing gives me very specific counsel about following the Prophet and Apostles.
It is something I take very seriously.

So even though this is just a blog, and it's influence is not very wide, I would like to take this chance to "STAND," and to bear my testimony of the Prophet and Apostles who lead this church:

I know that Thomas S. Monson and the quorum of the Twelve Apostles are prophets, seers, and revelators called by God. I know that when they speak we should listen, because it is not just their opinions they are speaking, but that they are dictiating the will of God for us at this time. I know that it is sometimes hard to follow their words, but that when we do we will find ourselves on the right path that will lead us back to Heavenly Father, and I know that God supports those who are loyal to Him and to His Prophets. I know that it is so important for us to keep our testimonies of the gospel and of the Prophets STRONG, so that we will not be deceived. This proposition 8 issue was not terribly difficult for me, but I know that at some point there will be one that is, and I hope that my testimony will be trong enough to follow the Prophets even if it doesn't make sense to me. I know that our Heavenly Father lives and that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and I say this in His Name. Amen.

4 comments:

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Ashlee, even though this is a blog, I have said this before and know you will agree, it's like a journal as well. You are very well entitled to putting whatever you want and I think it's great you put known for what you believe in. I live down here in Cali and its retarded how now they are making school children sign wavers that they will support gay couples

Cal and Whit said...

Thank you Ash for sharing. You put it so well, and even made me think of a couple things that I had not been. Thanks.

Rebecca said...

That was powerful.

Melinda said...

This issue has brought up some very interesting thoughts and feelings for me, and I really appreciate your insight. I think it is so important to stand up with the prophets and do it in a loving way. Thank you for taking a stand. I'm with you!