My History

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dear Mom,

Today I started re-organizing my recipes. I had this purple notebook that I had written recipes in from when Corey and I first got married. I went through and took the recipes I wanted and then I was about to throw it in the trash when a page fell open and I saw your salsa recipe.
I thought about how the last time I made it was recently after you passed away and I took it to a family function kind of in your memory. I thought about how you always took it to the family functions, and about how Dan Bishop loved it so much that you made it for him every year on his birthday. I remembered how much everyone loved it and how the recipe was kind of kept a secret. I always thought that was cool.
Needless to say I wrote the recipe out again and I have it safe in my new system. What a tender mercy don't you think?
Then tonight I was starting to clean the kitchen and I wanted to listen to some music. I turned on my CD player thinking that the Dixie Chicks were inside, but it was the Rascal Flatts CD that you gave me on my last birthday that you were here. I think it and the other CD's you gave me that day were the last present that you ever gave me... physically speaking of course... there were many intangible gifts given after that...
Needless to say I had myself a real good cry while cleaning up the kitchen tonight. Thankfully the boys were playing blocks in their bedroom so I could just let it flow and feel it out.
I sure miss you.
I would give anything to be able to talk to you tonight.
I want to tell you about how I'm teaching Jack to read, and about how hyper Aly got at church on Sunday.
I want to hang out with you at night when Corey is gone like we did after Jack was born.
I'm so glad you were there for that.
Well I'm crying again. I better stop writing now.
Dad sent me this picture of the two of you in an e-mail last week. You guys look so happy. I also love that I can see your hands.... MY hands.
Hope to feel you again soon...
Ashlee

7 comments:

Cal and Whit said...

That was very sweet Ash. Thank you for sharing it.

3+Love~aki=Us said...

Thanks for sharing that Ashlee, you're parents were fun to grow up around. Your mom was such a cool person; I miss those haircuts she would give me. Soon well both get to hold and touch our love ones; that's one of the greatest truth that has been restored! Thanks again for sharing.

Scotty B said...

Now you got me crying... ;)

Thanks for sharing

deemom said...

OH ASH,
I missed her so much this weekend at Grandma's. Especially since there was to be a funeral for one of her fellow classmates. HOW wonderful the reunion in heaven for us all. You are such an eloquent writer. Keep posting and did you read NieNie
love aunt deedee

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Wow that was a great post Ashlee, I am sure there are moments when it's hard but also it is good for those tender mercies

Unknown said...

Ash. I love you. I love your mom so much too. I know she smiles on you from heaven everyday. I thought of her just the other day too. A picture fell out of her and Jesse from a box I was looking through. She was always so good to my children. The salsa was a tender mercy for sure. God loves you. Hugs to you.

Rebecca said...

Ashlee, I can't imagine how impressed she must be with you. You are such an amazing woman -and I hope that someday when I'm gone, my girls will have such tender and beautiful things to say about me. :)