My History

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hopeless

Opinion:
If a movie does not include a romantic-give me butterflies in my stomach-on screen kiss then it is... in a word...
Pointless.
Did you see Iron Man this past year? Well I did. I watched perfectly patient the whole stupid film waiting for the moment that Robert Downey Jr. would finally plant one on that hollywood beauty Gweneth Paltrow. Starting to get a little impatient I finally asked Corey, who had seen it already, if it was ever going to happen. When he told me "no," I was lead to exclaim:
"Then what the heck am I doin' here?"
Sure, sure I am exaggerating a little... I have both seen and read truly wonderful, worthwhile things that lacked the romantic ingredient... but really... no matter how much I loved it... a little part of my brain is complaining that "They could have snuck some in there somehow... I could have done it I'm certain."
I don't think I have always realized what a hopeless romantic I am at heart. I LIVE for the romance. Books, movies, and real life especially... I can't get enough, and it's ALWAYS been that way for me.

I am always looking for good books as most of you know, and I would like to ask you all for your romantic recommendations.

And just to show that I'm not stingy I'll give you some:

I think the most romantic book I've ever read is Jane Eyre. This is why Jane is on my list of favorite books. (and ps: if you haven't seen the most recent Masterpiece Theatre version of it you MUST... move over Darcy it is all about Rochester) If you want a good "what not to do," love story then Gone with the Wind is the one for you. Dramatic soul that I am... I love a good tragic love story occasionally. And for heaven's sake if you have not read the entire collected works of Jane Austen then you just better get going.

Okay you're turn! What romantic book should I read this year?

5 comments:

deemom said...

well i don't know if this is the best one for you to read but IT WAS way popular about 15 years ago. The Bridges of Madison County. It was made into a movie and DO NOT RENT THE MOVIE until you have read the book and call me first I will tell you something about it that you might change your mind. love aunt deedee
I LOVED IRONMAN.

Stephanie said...

I am so glad that you felt that way about Iron Man. I was so frustrated at the end and thought the movie was so dumb because of the "romantic" relationship. Some of Anita Stansfield books are good. I am looking for good romance books as well. It's hard because you can't just go to the library and pull off a book.

coryshay said...

Some of the cutest romantic stories I think are Shannon Hale's books... which you've probably read most of them, but Book of a Thousand Days I thought was very romantic as well as Enna Burning and Goose Girl. Austenland was great too...

Also, one of my favorite books from childhood I recently re-read and I thought it had a cute love story. The Ordinary Princess by MM Kaye.

I'll have to come back and check other people's recommendations because I'd like some more cute romance stories myself...I just can't do the Nicholas Sparks ones... they're too sad. :(

Cal and Whit said...

So sis, you like romantic books huh? Here's a winner:

http://www.gotye.com/img/Fabio-AfterDark-FrontCover.jpg

Jen said...

Have you seen the BBC movie North and South? It is amazing. I haven't read the book, but I heard it was good. Jenilyn recommends it.