My History

Monday, March 2, 2009

The Passing of the Plate


The summer of 2006 brought change to our lives as we left our beloved downtown SLC residence for me to manage a new complex in Millcreek.

It was an emotional change as we left behind one of the most fulfilling and happiest times we have had in our married life. One of the hardest things for me personally was leaving my friend Emily. We had grown extremely close serving together in the Relief Society, she as the President, and I as one of the two compassionate service leaders.

The week we left she came over with a plate full of chocolate chip cookies that she had made special for me. She informed me that the plate I was receiving was no ordinary plate. It was a plate that she had received from a beloved girlfriend with the special injunction that she must pass it on with a note and a plate full of goodies to another worthy friend.

She chose to pass it to me, and I was honored. I have been saving the plate since that summer and waiting for just the right girl to give it to.

My friend Autumn moved over the weekend. It was an offer she couldn't refuse to be sure. When she came over to break the news I was so excited for her new opportunity but selfish enough that I admit I cried. Having a good friend is one thing, but having one live right next door... apartment next door... we are talking seconds away-share a wall with each other-close is another.

It was awesome. We both have husbands who are currently away a lot. Our kids LOVE each other. We have SO much in common. She has already taught me so many things, and we haven't even been friends for that long.

You're probably thinking that Autumn moved cross country and that we won't see each other anymore. Not so. She still lives in the same ward and neighborhood actually, but it won't be the same. I feel like we are Monica and Rachel when Rachel moves out of their apartment. "It's the end of an era!" Yeah we'll still be friends, but some things WILL change. We saw each other in person and talked at least once a day and usually more, and that probably won't happen now.

But, life goes on. I am thankful for all that Autumn taught me, and I know we'll still be good friends. I'm still good friends with Emily after all, and a lot of others too. Autumn's excited to be the current holder of the plate and promised to take it seriously and not pass it until she had someone REALLY worthy. That makes me feel good.

Seeing her leave makes me think of all the good girlfriends I have had in my life from Elementary School on up. I have been seriously blessed with good girlfriends in my time. I wish I had a plate to give each and every one of you! Thank Heaven's for good girlfriends. There are times in my life that I wouldn't have made it without you!

PS: The position of Ashlee's next door neighbor is open. Any takers? Whit? Have you changed your mind? Come on Whit... just imagine all the fun we would have! You know you want to!

5 comments:

Autumn said...

You are so good at posting often. I had missed 2 entries in the process of moving. I have to admit I hesitate to post or comment only because I want what I write to be wonderful and cause laughter or tears. Your posts feel so alive to me and I find myself really laughing out loud and tearing up almost every time. Maybe getting up 3 times a night is making me a little too sensitive or maybe you are just that good. I feel privileged to have the plate and grateful to have you as a friend. The distance isn't great but I already miss not being able to drop by multiple times a day to visit my friend.

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Um hello I wanna know what is on that plate!!!! dang girl!

deemom said...

THAT is the most awesome story. REMIND ME TO TELL YOU MY "plate" story. Are you free Thursday afternoon or is corey home? Love aunt deedee

Cal and Whit said...

What a neat idea! That would seriously be the best if we were next door neighbors. I would LOVE that. I can imagine what our days would be like...If only.....

coryshay said...

Ooh! Pick me!! That would be so awesome! I miss you!

ps the verification word is "wookie"...how cool is that?