We've been talking babies around here.
A lot.
No, no... this is NOT an announcement or even a precursor to an announcement so just let that thought slip right out of your mind.
Alaster has been informed that he is not a baby anymore.
It came as a great shock to him, and to be frank it is something that I am still trying to wrap my mind around.
"Alaster? Not a baby? Whaaaaat? Bah! You jest. Surely you jest!"
But the fact of the matter is that he is turning 3 in July and it's time to take some steps towards acting like it.
Step #1- 86 the Binki.
Two Sundays ago we gave Alaster a weeks notice to prepare for a binki cutting ceremony. We got him all excited about "not being a baby anymore," and "being a big boy!" He was all on board with it: "DO BORE BINKI'S!!! YAY!!!" and he even volunteered to cut the top off of his favorite binki himself. It was a family event and we all clapped and cheered for him when he made the cut. He was quite pleased with himself until about 2 hours before bed time that night when he asked for it back and I informed him that his request was impossible to comply with.
"A FIXA BINKI!!!!" (fix the binki!)
It was pretty sad that first night but now he's doin' just fine and he'll even talk with you about it if you ask. Further steps into big-boy-hood will be taken soon. I'll keep you posted.
With all this growing up Alaster is doing the consensus around here is that we need a new baby.
Jack: "Mom, Alaster is not a baby anymore right?"
Me: "Yeah... sigh."
Jack: "And I'm really not a baby anymore."
Me: "Yep."
Jack: "Then you really need to get a new baby!"
Me (in my mind): "Tell me about it."
Alaster to Mom: "A take a baby home us?" (Can we take this baby home with us?) He has asked me that two times this week when we have played with friends who have little babies.
We've also had lots of conversations surrounding appropriate behavior around babies as now anytime the boys see one they both wanna "touchim, hodeim, payifim" (touch him, hold him, play with him) as Aly says. It's actually all very sweet and gives me hope that when we are able to welcome another member to our family that they will be well received.
Alaster wants another boy. Jack wants a little sister. Today when we were cleaning up their room I asked them "What do you think about the name 'Lane' if we have a baby girl next?" Jack thought for a moment and said "I like it. It's a good name, but how about 'May'? May is a good name!" I thought about it and you know what? I totally agree. May. Cute!
"Good one Jack where did you hear it?"
"Scooby Doo."
Lovely.
Good thing there have been 2 completely sweet and beautiful new little babies born in our ward recently, and shortly we are expecting I think... 3 more? I'm perfectly happy living vicariously until our time comes again.
Plus maybe Alaster can be our baby just a teensy weensy bit longer.
5 comments:
Wow, 3 is so old! Congrats on the binky progression. What sweet boys to be so serious about a baby. That is so cute that Jack is thinking of names.
We are probably going to have to have the same ceremony when Jocelyn hits 3. She is sooooo attached to the Bink...
I was kinda hoping you were making an announcement, but sounds like your boys will be ready when it comes!! And I do love May too. It reminded me of the Secret Life of Bees.
Oh Ashlee, I love the memories of dancing, sleepovers, and driving together. I heard the country song "the way you look, the way you..." (I can't remember the title.) and took a moment to think about the good ol' days. I definitely remember that you were so good at flirting with guys driving by.
Aly and Drewbie turning three.....(sigh). I think I might shed a few tears over that. I CAN'T give up my Babycakes just yet. And Aly seems so much like him, you shouldn't have to either.
But I'm on board with the boys.....you do need another baby around! :)
Three? What in the world? I love the baby post! Those boys are so darling to think about babies. Can we take him home with us?? How adorable is that! I loved this post! Also, we totally had to remember when you cut Jack's binkies too, and when he thought you could fix them with...batteries...water...etc. What cute boys! congrats on the binki cutting ceremony! What a huge step in a darling little two and a half year olds life!
Post a Comment