My History

Friday, March 26, 2010

A Birthday Bash!

On the Saturday after Jack's birthday we held a little birthday bash!
It started out as an e-mail to friends saying "Do you want to come have some cake and let the kiddo's play?"... and quickly turned into an actual party. Long story.
As the kids and their parents arrived (I invited parents because school friends who don't know us from Adam were invited, and I thought those parents should have an invitation to be there don't you? I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping Jack off at a strangers house yet... plus the more the merrier! Wahoo!) we let the kiddos play and the adults chatted.

When all the kids were there we sat in a circle and had each child state their name and age. I think the cutest was little Henry who on his turn didn't say a word but held up one adorable little finger very purposefully. He totally knew what we were doing even though he didn't say it! Pretty cute!
After introductions we started in on the games. The first game we played was musical statues. We played the Beatles "She loves me yeah, yeah, yeah..." song while the kids danced. When the music cut off they had to freeze into a statue. If you wiggle-- you're OUT! and on to the next round. The last man standing (Levi Klouse in our case... the boy was seriously in-it-to-win-it!) was the winner!

Game Two: Lucky Colors. I had colored circles layed out on the carpet. One child was it (Levi Klouse because he had already won a game) and they closed their eyes and counted to ten while the kids moved around and chose a color to stand by. With eyes closed he chose a color and the child standing by that color was OUT! And they got to join the corner of those out and take their turn being it. Last person standing was the winner! I don't recall who won that game. Sorry!

The last game is also pictured above. Our version of pin the tail on the donkey- Help the Spider Eat the Fly (can you see the fly in the middle of the web?). Jack switched cakes on me at the last minute... remember he wanted a "horrible," great white shark cake?!? He waffled around with many different ideas after that but finally landed on a spider with spiderweb cake so that's what we did. Honestly I was relieved. It was so much easier!

Anyway this was the only game that fit with the cake. Who cares though... I know the kids didn't. I had such a busy week I was going for low stress and I think the kids had a great time anyway. Brooklyn won the spider game. Yay Brooklyn!

Last but not least, the cake:



Keep scrolling for one last collage. Does anyone know how to get Picasa to upload more than 4 images to a post?!?!?! If you do and you tell me I'll make you some cookies!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a lucky little boy! I think it is wonderful how you made his day so special. I truly miss that specialness about birthdays now that I am older. I love the birthday party games. Sounds a little like the days at Challenger. :)

Rachel and Todd said...

That spider cake looks amazing. You are so talented and creative! I know Henry had a ball at the party. He obviously loved the cake. :) You are a good party mom.

Yes, the Kickapoo State Park is about 30 minutes away, Eastward I think. It was great, pretty brown right now but I bet during the summer it will be beautiful! It looks like a lot of fun. You can find more about it here: http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/R3/kickapoo.htm#Hiking.

Yes, we went to Lake of the Woods last summer and it was nice. There are some good trails--flat trails--and a beautiful garden with a waterfall and gazebo and things. There's also a lake where you can do paddle boats. We definitely want to go back to both K and L of the W.