My History

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Happy Birthday Corey!

My sweetheart turned 29 today.
My wonderful, handsome, funny and... did I say wonderful yet? husband.
I have been really quite in love with him lately... which is good since we are married and all.
I have always deeply appreciated him but the feeling... along with several others... has been magnified lately. I think it's because this year has been so darned difficult. Last May we were young, stupid things with wide dreamy eyes facing the world with a degree in hand just positive easy street was around the corner and all those the long awaited payoffs to our sacrifices were about to shower down upon us. We were wrong. Quite wrong.
Things here have been hard, and it has stretched us more than anything yet in our marriage.
Do you know that twice a week Corey stays up for about 34 hours straight? Seriously. 34 hours straight. Two times a week! I just counted again to make sure I was stating facts here. Within that 34 hours he occasionally will get a little nap but still! (then after staying awake for 34 hours he gets about 6 hours of sleep before he has to wake up and watch the boys while I head off to work... just had to throw that little tidbit in there too) It's just how it has to be right now for work and school, so that's what he does... because Corey does what he needs to do for his family, no matter how difficult it is.
What's more, he manages to still be a pleasant sort of fellow to be around.
It would be pretty unfathomable not to appreciate a guy like that huh?

I'm not the only one who appreciates Corey. Jack and Alaster have grown increasingly fond of their daddy. They have always loved him, but having him around during the day more when he watches them while I go to work has been so great.

I come home to scenes like this:
Well... on calm days. One time as I hopped out of the car and headed towards our apartment I heard an oh-so-familiar scream. I groaned inwardly knowing it had been "one of those days," and headed upstairs to rescue Corey. My assumption that I needed to "rescue," him turned out to be completely incorrect of course. He was crouched on the floor launching them into the air with his legs and they were horrified and delighted at the same time... a perfect place for little boys to be.
Jack especially has been attached to Daddy lately. Yesterday he drew him some pictures. When he showed it to me later he explained "This is a picture of my new favorite scary thing (a wasp... boy is that a story! 'Favorite'... Ha!). This one is a picture of me and Dad on our way to a pool. This last one is me and Dad getting the bad guys... that vampire in the corner is just for decoration. I made these for Daddy because I love Daddy SO much!" He also asked Dad tonight if he was available Monday to play football. Dad said that sounded fabulous and he would love to. "Daddy," is now the most frequent answer to "Who do you think is my very best friend?" He also insists on sitting by Daddy at the dinner table.
On the way to Sams Club this week the boys and I were in the car and Aly said "Not a family." and I said "What? We are a family!" and he said "Daddy's not here. Not a family."
We are all very attached to the man... but I love him the most I think. Although he and I don't have matching shoes:
Corey got to go shopping with his mom (who once called him 'the sweetest pup in her litter,') earlier today and this was his present from Ed and Cindy: chic new sandals! Jack happened to choose the exact same ones ;) Fancy that.
I was planning on listing 29 things that I love about him in this post since he's 29 years old, but as this is getting kind of long I will limit myself to five or so:
* He can still give me butterflies when we kiss
* He gives me the green pillow to sleep with on the weekends when only one of us can have it
* When he's with me and the boys life is so much more fun and we all miss him when he's sleeping... Saturday afternoon is the best and most exciting time in the whole week!
* He is humble, kind, and has rock solid integrity
* He looks great in all his jackets (that one is so you will know I am writing this post to YOU honey)
Yep. It's unanimous... Corey is a keeper. I think I'll keep him for all eternity in fact.
Lastly, Dearest Corey: If you had not needed clothes more, I would have bought you a print of "The Fighting Temeraire," for your birthday. I saw it in a book at the library last week and thought you would have really loved it. Would I have been right? Google it and let me know :) Good night Hon. Happy Birthday with all my heart!

7 comments:

Corey said...

Thank you sweetie. I love you too...more than I could say really. I guess I'll have to show you, hehehe. And I would have to agree with you, I am a very humble person, and I do look great in my jackets.
In all seriousness though. You are the best wife in the world. You make me sound awesome, but you are ten times the woman I am. Well, you get what I mean.

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Yay for Cory!!! yay for these two days! Today is my birthday! April is a good month I say! :-) Those sandals are super nice I love them

deemom said...

LET THE BIRTHDAY WEEK ROLL.. April turned 32 on the 14th, Corey 29 on the 15th, Amberlin ?? on the 16th, Christy will be 30 on the 19th!!! WAHOO!!

Cheeseboy said...

Happy birthday Corey! Hope it is a great day.

Rebecca said...

That is the sweetest post!

Daphne A. Quist said...

You two are so sweet! Corey, Happy Late Birthday and oh my gosh, how do you do it? I'll cease my own whining and think of you! May every couple experience what you two have just a moment in their existence. I'm so happy for you guys! Give the kids hugs!

Cal and Whit said...

That is so so sweet Ash. I loved when we talked on the phone and I could hear a little of this from your own mouth. What a sweet birthday post to your Corey! He is such a sweetheart and what a darling dad he is too! Happy Birthday Corey, we sure love you!