My History

Thursday, April 1, 2010

New Titles

I frequently say the following directive to my boys:

"Raise your hand if..." and then say something like "your mom loves you," or "you're wearing blue" etc. etc. etc. One of the most reoccurring is "if you're a cute boy!" and tonight I asked it yet again. Jack didn't raise his hand because "I'm not cute, I'm cool." to which I had to say "Okay raise your hand if you're really cool, but your mom thinks you're cute." and his hand shot right up. Then I turned to Aly and said "Hey cute boy, why didn't your hand go up?" to which he replied "Uh Uh Cute Boy, I a COUSIN!" (I'm not a cute boy, I'm a cousin!)

Yep that's right! Alaster and Jack are now officially cousins, and I am officially Aunty Ash (which has such a nice ring to it don't you think?!?)
I have wanted to be Aunty Ash more than I can say because if I am Aunty Ashlee that means Whitney and Calvin have new titles too: Mommy and Daddy.
To get a little glimpse of what has happened to them the last few days click HERE.

I know I have written about how awesome these guys are BEFORE.
But can I say it again?
It has been such an honor to witness Calvin and Whitney throughout this process. Where others have naturally and understandably struggled, they have handled themselves with superhuman grace, faith, and love. I have been in awe of their strength, and I could not be prouder to own them as my brother and sister. Ada could not be placed with to two more prepared and deserving parents. (although I do admit they need a little bit of help physically preparing as they have not bought a thing! and it all came about so quickly!)

My Diana and I talk as often as possible on the phone (which still never quite seems to be enough) and throughout the adoption process we have shared some truly priceless moments as she has told me of her experiences and feelings.
I'll never forget the phone call when she told me that they had been approved with LDS Family Services. We were in IL at that point and living with Ed and Cindy. I stole away from everyone just as dinner was starting and went to the guest bedroom we inhabited to talk. As Whit and I cried and laughed together, I was filled with the most powerful joy that I think I have ever felt for another person's good news. It has been wonderful to talk to her about it all from even before that call till today when their beautiful Ada was born.
And I can't wait to hear all about their new life with her!

Tonight our prayers are full of much gratitude for this blessing, and we are certainly asking special blessings to be with Ada's sweet and brave birthparents.

PS- The miracles just keep on comin'!: My cousin RJ and his wife Jamie who are also adopting were blessed with a baby boy on the same day! Can you believe it? You should see the picture they sent out of RJ holding his new little one. Cutest new dad face I've ever seen!

8 comments:

Hannah said...

I'm crying right now. This is such wonderful news! I just read on their blog of their account of finding out they'd be chosen by a birthmom. I can't IMAGINE the feelings of joy and gratitude! I am so happy for them!

PS: Your boys are adorable and I love reading about them on your blog.

katers said...

How sweet! Aly melts my heart. I love that even the boys are so excited about it.

deemom said...

Ashlee I want you to know I SO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. Because the day you were born. I LIVED SO FAR AWAY in New York and I didn't get to smooch you or hold you for over a year. WE WONT LET THAT HAPPEN OK!!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST BLOGGER!!! We all get such vivid pictures from your descriptions. ALY IS TO DIE FOR. SMOOCH THAT BABY. love aunt deedee

Amberlin Gefrom said...

awwww yay congratulations to them!! so glad that something worked out for them!

Rachel and Todd said...

That is so exciting! I'm so happy for you all! Aunty, Ash, little Ada is lucky to have such a great family!!

Pokemon said...

I was so excited and glad to hear this news. They will be sweet, sweet parents. I headed over and read their thoughts and what a neat experience. So fun that you're now an Auntie and your boys are cousins.

coryshay said...

Okay, just completely left me in tears. They are going to be such awesome parents!! Ada could not have come into a better family. So happy for you all.

Rebecca said...

YAY, congratulations to them!