...When I start thinking of tomorrow's Family Home Evening lesson.
Usually at this point Corey and I would be discussing the needs of our family, and what tomorrow's lesson should be.
Tonight is different because poor Corey had to go to work, so I am here alone thinking of what to prepare. It's my turn for the lesson, and all I can think is "What can I do to top Corey's lesson from last week?"
I'm not coming up with much.
Last week Corey taught the parable of the talents using GI Joes.
What on Earth could trump that?
It's actually a very sweet story why Corey chose to teach that particular lesson. Would you like to hear? Look at the pictures first and then I shall elaborate:
For the most part school for Jack has been nothing but wonderfully positive. He has plenty of friends, his teacher has commented on how bright and sweet he is, and each day he comes home with a glowing report and exciting stories to tell us. Still... by the end of the week he is emotionally and physically spent. Going full day, every day certainly has been a big adjustment.
Well one day a couple of weeks ago a fellow Kindergarten Mom and I were talking and she asked me if Jack had brought home many Super-Star slips.
Super-Star slips? I hadn't even heard of them. She explained that the teachers give Super-Star slips to students when they exemplify one of the Big 4 behaviors. Her son had been keeping his in his locker and had saved them up and brought them all home one afternoon.
Jack had never brought one home so I thought maybe he was doing the same thing.
So, curious mother that I am, I asked him about it:
"Jack, have you earned any Super-Star slips at school?"
The mood in the room up to that point had been happy. He was at the kitchen table contentedly munching on a PB&J. Upon hearing my question his sweet little face fell and a rather husky voice that I knew all too well was trying bravely to hold in the tears said:
"No. I just try, but I haven't ever got one... and I want one. So. Bad."
Then he threw his PB&J on the floor.
Oh my word it was the saddest thing! I know that part of it had to do with the fact that it was Friday and he was so tired, but still. I comforted him the best that I could, and resolved to talk to his teacher (No I wasn't going to cause a stink, but I was going to ask her about it and have a conversation).
Fast forward to the following Monday after that sad scene when Corey had the FHE lesson. We hadn't talked about it Sunday so the lesson was a surprise to me. I loved Corey so much as I heard him teach and realized where he was going with it.
He told the boys that Jesus liked to teach the people using stories and that he was going to tell them one tonight. He then taught the parable of the talents (with the attention getting GI Joes) and made the point that the Master was happy with both of the servants who did their best, even though Bob ended up with the most money. Frank, who didn't do his best, hid his money, and he was the only one the Master was dissapointed with.
Then he related it to the boys and how their Father in Heaven and Jesus feel about them, and how we their Mom and Dad feel about them... that all that matters to us is that they do their very, very best... and that we will love them and be so proud of them no matter what the results are... and so on and so forth. And as part of the conversation we discussed the Behavior Charts/Super-Star slips at school. I could tell that Jack was really getting it, and that it was helping his heart feel better about it all.
(The cups of water Corey used to talk about the Atonement and how no matter how good any of us become in this life (or how much water we get in our cups) we all make mistakes, and we all need the Savior (the big water pitcher - who brought the water all the way to the top) to make it home.)
It was one of the best listened-to FHE's we've ever had. Even Alaster, who typically only listens to about 3.2% of FHE most of the time, got the point.
The next day while we were getting ready for school he put something in a white sock and carried it out the door with us. I asked what it was and he said it was his "bag." When I asked what was in his bag he informed me it was "Frank... who didn't do his best." and all day he said things like "We are doing our best!" or "That is not doing your best, Jack!" (when Jack was bugging him)
This FHE made me thankful for a lot of things: My husband, the scriptures, THIS talk (which has really influenced how Corey and I are trying to teach the boys), the Savior's love, Family Home Evenings and sweet little boys to hold them with, etc.
And now dear friends I have officially spent too much time blogging about Corey's super-fantastic FHE and it is time for me to go try and make one of my own for tomorrow. Wish me luck! It's a tough act to follow!
PS- Since this FHE Jack has earned 3 Super-Star Slips. Go Jack!

6 comments:
Good crap Ashley that is awesome. I dont even know how I will ever teach my kids the right stuff..it honestly terrifies me the responsibility that comes with all that. Anyways..thanks for sharing
I love that Corey of yours, and I cried when I pictured your sweet boy Jack throwing his PB and J on the ground and being sad. What a neat lesson, and those boys sitting there on their chairs are just so darling! I loved this post. It made me realize a lot of things, but mostly that I want my children to know these things too, and how important it is that Cal and i teach them the very best we can. Always. Thanks Guys! And give that Corey a huge high five for me, what an awesome dad he is!
Wow, you guys are amazing! I think of the story you posted of having to take away Jack's spiderman costume and teaching him and think how he was just about Benjamin's age. I am impressed at how well you teach your kids!
MY FAVORITE PICTURE OF YOUR BOYS EVER!!!! the listening mode and all. THAT WAS AWESOME.
CAN hardly wait to see you!!! love aunt deedee
We are soooo blessed to have the people we do for posterity! }:o)
AND the people they married!!
PaPa & Gram
i love that! all of it!
Post a Comment