My History

Monday, December 20, 2010

How Can I Keep From Singing?

I have not always had a strong and personal relationship with the Savior.
I have always naturally felt close to my Father in Heaven, and I am familiar with the Spirit as I have felt His influence for as long as I can really remember... but developing a testimony of the Savior took a much more conscious effort.
I recently took the time to think about what the initial process of coming to know Him was like.
It started with a sincere and eager desire to feel what I had heard others testify of. When someone bore powerful and sincere testimony of Him I could feel the spirit testifying to me that what they said was true. It created a deep hunger in me to know the same things for myself.
I listened to the words of the Prophets and tried to apply their teachings of how to gain a testimony of the Savior.
I prayed sincerely and over a long period of time for that specific witness.
The answer to those prayers has come piece by piece and in a lot of ways. I know it is a continual process and I hope that throughout my life I will continue to know more and more of Him and draw closer and closer to Him.
One of the most powerful and personal ways that I have come to know Him has been through learning of Him in the scriptures. They have taught me of his overwhelming goodness and unfailing mercy. I don't know why I am continually surprised at it, but I am. I guess it is hard to believe that someone so perfect would be so good, and condescend so much to offer peace and healing to such unworthy recipients.
I truly am amazed at the love Jesus offers me.
And yet, as unbelievable as it is, I do believe it.
The spirit has born witness to me that it is true again and again, and my heart thrills at the thought!
It is difficult to put into words how having a testimony of the Savior makes me feel, and what a blessing it has been to my life. I am so grateful that I can now add my own little witness to those who have gone before me.
Perhaps I will just share with you the words of a song that express how I feel when I ponder the gifts of the Savior:

How Can I Keep From Singing:

My life flows on in endless song
Above earth's lamentation,
I catch the sweet, tho' far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.
Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
It finds an echo in my soul--
How can I keep from singing?

What tho' my joys and comfort die?
The Lord my Saviour liveth;
What tho' the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night he giveth.
No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that refuge clinging;
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
How can I keep from singing?

I lift my eyes; the cloud grows thin;
I see the blue above it;
And day by day this pathway smooths,
Since first I learned to love it.
The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing;
All things are mine since I am his--
How can I keep from singing?

I hope you are all enjoying this Christmas Season. I hope you have loved pondering the Savior and His life. I want you to know that I do know that He lives. I know that He has the power to change, heal, sustain and save us. I know that we can trust Him and His promises. I love Him for all He has done for me and my family, and I love the Father who sent Him.
I say these things in His name,
amen... and Merry Christmas!

PS- You may consider this post a Christmas Card from me because we decided not to send out cards this year. Sorry!

3 comments:

Jenika said...

This is a beautiful testimony, Ashlee. Thank you for sharing it.

deemom said...

JUST PERFECT.... It is always inspiring to hear the testimony of someone so dear... you are such a lovely example of womanhood and sister hood. may the Lord bless you all and keep you all safe this season of Joy.... love aunt deedee

Daphne A. Quist said...

Oh how I miss hearing your testimony! Thanks for your amazing example! Glad you got our card...we miss you guys, but it's so nice to be able to look at the pictures on here! We love it! Merry Christmas!