Jack is into maps these days. He likes them all... World, United States, etc. But the one we look at the most is the US.
We have been teaching him the names of the states, their capitals, and a tid-bit or two about each state.
If you ask Jack his favorite state is California, but his actual favorite state is Nevada. He's obsessed with it. It's kind of like when he tells you his favorite color is something other than red. Who is he trying to kid?!?
He wants desperately to visit New York to see the Statue of Liberty, Georgia to eat peaches to his hearts content, Florida to see a launch, and Nevada to see the dessert. There are a lot of other ones too, but those are the ones we seem to talk about visiting the most.
He does that puzzle up there pretty regularly, and enjoys teaching Alaster the names of the states as he goes. Aly can identify Idaho, Illinois, and a few others. Idaho is Aly's favorite state for undisclosed reasons, and Washington because of all the apples. That child would eat an apple for breakfast lunch and dinner and all the snacks inbetween if I would let him. (there are worse problems to have I know)
Gram and Grandpa gave Jack a really wonderful book for Christmas that has info on all of the states and a cool magnetic puzzle (thank you! my tid-bits were running low on states like... oh I don't know... Iowa)
Jack drew this during Sacrament meeting on Sunday:
Left: 50 (meaning states of course) on wii menuu he wrote after he was done with the states. The kid has Wii on the mind a lot. Stats = States. Then we have a picture of Florda/Tilasy (Florida/Tallahassee) Utah with Salt Lake City starred (albeit not in the exact right place... in fact I'm not sure any of those stars are correctly placed but the kid is 5 and he knows State Capitals. We're gonna let it slide.)
When he showed it to us I got the biggest grin on my face. What a cute boy!
One day I had been singing the "50 Nifty United States," song from my elementary school days and I kept getting stuck at North Carolina. We decided to see if You Tube could help us out. We not only found the 50 Nifty, but we also found the Animaniacs States and Capitals song. Yes!
Corey tried to find it on ITunes but no luck. If anyone ever sees an Animaniac CD: BUY IT for us and we will reimburse you!
One of my favorite things about teaching all of this to Jack is hearing him mispronounce the names as he learns them. Example:
J: Mom, I love Yew Nork.
M: You mean New York?
J: Yeah, that's what I said: Yew Nork!
Other times he catches his mistake and laughs right along with me. North "Gatota," was a pretty funny one we giggled about for a long time.
Yay for Geography! Jack has pretty much got the west down (it's easier for sure) but he's got quite a bit of the midwest and east too. He'll know them all in a few weeks I'm sure.
Can that boy be in my class someday? I give a 50 states test to my freshmen and some of them still fail. I hope I have some geography-loving kids someday. P.S. Have you seen the YouTube video of Bryce and Nancy's niece Lily?
I totally have that song! I found free MP3s of a bunch of Animaniacs songs online like six years ago. I also have All The Words in The English Language, The Nations of the World, the theme song, Yakko's Universe, and my personal favorite that actually helped me get through my U.S. History AP test in high school: The US Presidents!!! I'm burning you a CD right now and I'll bring it over when I see you next. :-)
WHAT A SMARTY Mr. Jack is and what a fun kid to teach all the states to. HE IS A BIG SPONGEY brainiac. Hope you are having a wonderful winter and NOT COLD like ours... LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH AND MISS YOU TONS.... love aunt deedee I'm a puker...... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
3 comments:
Can that boy be in my class someday? I give a 50 states test to my freshmen and some of them still fail. I hope I have some geography-loving kids someday. P.S. Have you seen the YouTube video of Bryce and Nancy's niece Lily?
I totally have that song! I found free MP3s of a bunch of Animaniacs songs online like six years ago. I also have All The Words in The English Language, The Nations of the World, the theme song, Yakko's Universe, and my personal favorite that actually helped me get through my U.S. History AP test in high school: The US Presidents!!! I'm burning you a CD right now and I'll bring it over when I see you next. :-)
WHAT A SMARTY Mr. Jack is and what a fun kid to teach all the states to. HE IS A BIG SPONGEY brainiac. Hope you are having a wonderful winter and NOT COLD like ours... LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH AND MISS YOU TONS.... love aunt deedee
I'm a puker...... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Post a Comment