
This past Saturday marks the 6th anniversary of my Mom's death.
It is always a day of mixed emotions for me as I'm sure you can imagine. It is bitter-sweet to remember how lucky I was to have her as a mom, and of course, how very dearly, dearly I miss her. This year, with another baby on the way for both Calvin and I, I can't help but be even a little more sad.
She would have loved her Grandbabies so much! She would be having so much fun with them!
Still, I love to talk to the boys about their Angel-Grandma... and when I tell them that even though she is not here she watches over them and loves them, and that we will be with her again, I know that it is true, and I am comforted.
The long and seemingly unfair separation from her now will make our reunion just that much sweeter. Oh how I look forward to that day!
What a blessing it was that this year the anniversary of her death was immediately followed by Easter.
It is always a day of mixed emotions for me as I'm sure you can imagine. It is bitter-sweet to remember how lucky I was to have her as a mom, and of course, how very dearly, dearly I miss her. This year, with another baby on the way for both Calvin and I, I can't help but be even a little more sad.
She would have loved her Grandbabies so much! She would be having so much fun with them!
Still, I love to talk to the boys about their Angel-Grandma... and when I tell them that even though she is not here she watches over them and loves them, and that we will be with her again, I know that it is true, and I am comforted.
The long and seemingly unfair separation from her now will make our reunion just that much sweeter. Oh how I look forward to that day!
What a blessing it was that this year the anniversary of her death was immediately followed by Easter.
I admit that I haven't always taken the opportunity to properly celebrate Easter.
Oh sure... I have colored eggs, I have eaten ham and funeral potatoes, and I have watched the Ten Commandments. I have bought springy new dresses, I have spent time with family, and I have attended church all before. These things certainly mark the passage of another year and another Easter day... and yet one can do all of these things and still not really celebrate.
This year was different.
As I truly contemplated the meaning of Easter... all the barriers that were crossed and all the blessings that were gained on that most sacred of mornings... my heart was fit to bursting with joy, and my whole soul felt to rejoice.
He Lives!
He has conquered death and sin! He is the greatest Hero the world has ever known!
This is the good news of the gospel, the reason for all that we do, and the hope of all mankind!
How very easy it is for me to love Jesus when I take time to contemplate all that was at stake.
I tremble to think of what would have been lost had He failed in His mission.
All week my thoughts have been along these themes, and my testimony and love of Him have increased... as have my feelings for the Father who sent him.
I tremble to think of what would have been lost had He failed in His mission.
All week my thoughts have been along these themes, and my testimony and love of Him have increased... as have my feelings for the Father who sent him.
At one point during sacrament meeting Jack and Alaster were both snuggled up against me tightly. Their little arms and legs were all tangled up on my sides and arms and lap... they pressed their little cheeks against my shoulders. I held them tight, patted their legs, and thought about the conversation Corey and I had the night before.
We had talked about the joy we find in their sweet and perfect innocence, and how we are often saddened to remember that it can't last forever. They will not always be so wonderfully innocent... they will not always be so happy and so carefree. Their life, of necessity, is destined to contain some dissapointment, hurt feelings, stress, anguish and pain.
And even though we know it is important, we can't help but find it tragic! Someday my boys will have the real-life worries of a grown up man! Oh no! How we wish they could be our sweet little boys forever and that we could shield them from every type of pain and sadness!
And even though we know it is important, we can't help but find it tragic! Someday my boys will have the real-life worries of a grown up man! Oh no! How we wish they could be our sweet little boys forever and that we could shield them from every type of pain and sadness!
As my mind recalled this conversation and these feelings... my thoughts turned to another parent... One who also had a perfectly innocent Son... who had to watch Him literally take the pain and the wickedness of the world upon His shoulders. And to have His perfect son actually ask to have the cup removed and to not be able to do it... I can't even imagine. How he must have wanted to save Him! How His heart must have broken to see His best boy hurt!
How very grateful I am for my Heavenly Father and for Jesus. How thankful I am to know of them, and of the Plan of Happiness. I am thankful for every blessing that is available to me because of the Atonement and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. I know that with His help, I too can overcome sin and death, and that I can be reunited with God and live with Him and with my Family forever.
I had just the best Easter.
I think I am ready to officially proclaim it my new favorite holiday. How sad that I didn't spend the other 25 Easters of my life properly celebrating!
Happy Easter Everyone! I hope yours was glorious too!
Happy Easter Everyone! I hope yours was glorious too!
7 comments:
How perfectly wonderful.... YOU stated so aptly the feelings in my heart this Easter.... It is one of my favorite holidays and always has been. HOWEVER since my sweet baby sister passed away I contemplate how many more Easters we will pass without her and how anxious we all need to be to bring about the Savoir's return. PREACH the gospel to the world ANY WAY we can. love you miss you love aunt deedee
I am so very blessed to be one of the parents, married to the other parent of Elizabeth, and grandparent of someone like you. We (Gram & PaPa) are more thankful than words can express to know the blessings of the Temple are real and effective in binding us all together for eternity. We love all of you, our family, who read this and pray every day for you and look forward to being with you for eternity. Gram & PaPa
Your mom is the best! I'm sure she's enjoying the boys so very thoroughly where she is, but it will mean so much more when you all can enjoy each other together!!! I'm glad you had a great Easter!
Thank you so much for sharing your testimony!! It really, really touched my heart.
Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
This had me in tears. What a sweet post and what a beautiful testimony you have! Thank you so much for sharing these sweet words. I sure miss your Mom, I can't wait until Ada can understand about her Angel Grandma, I am so looking forward to being able to teach here these things you shared. Thank you again.
Ash,
I had the same feelings of thanksgiving that Easter was the very next day- I took some roses down to where her mortal body is and I always have a nice long conversation with her about her wonderful kids and grandkids- I think often of how much she would have loved to play with them here and how much fun they will have when they meet her!
Love you much! aunt Shir
Post a Comment