My History

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Soap and Sushi

Once when I was in elementary school... not sure which grade... we had an assignment to whittle soap. It was some kind of art project I think.

I don't recall what exactly I whittled, but I do recall the sheer joy that came from it, and the feeling in my heart that whittling soap was my calling in life.

I remember dreaming of having a soap stand where I would sell my works of art to adoring fans.
My mind was made up.

Of course, to make my dreams a reality I would need plenty of bars of soap to work with. I imagined I would spend hours whittling away until I had perfected the craft. So... as any artist would do... I sought out my supplies. Unfortunately for me I had no money so that meant I needed to beg.

And beg I did.

I remember clearly explaining to my mom how much I loved to whittle, and how I wanted to be really good, and how I would need lots and lots of soap to practice with, and how she just HAD to buy it for me!

The next Saturday at the grocery store we came home with the biggest pack of bars they sold. Not just a measly 4 pack. And it was Caress or Dove I believe... not the Zest that she usually bought... something nicer... more suited to art.

I thought about all those bars of soap (which let's face it... ended up being used in the shower and not by a budding soap whittler) and all the other things my mom did to encourage any interest or educational pursuit I had, small and large alike... as I rolled Sushi for Jack.

He is interested in learning about different parts of the world and their cultures.

I don't remember when exactly sushi entered the conversation, but his mind at some point became fixed that he had to have some. Just like I had to have the soap.

So... I did the proper research... went to the store and got the goods... and spent a whole morning creating an educational culinary experience for my boy. Just like my mom would have done for me, I'm sure. I even bent certain food-rules at my house to make it more authentic- although I was too chicken to do a recipe that called for raw fish. Sorry Jack!

He loved it. Like loved it. I wasn't sure if he would or not (Nori smells). But he did. He ate all his Sushi and Bok Choy up at dinner, and even took it for lunch at school the next day. Corey loved it too... Alaster... well... not so much. The thought of what Nori actually is was just too, too much for him... funny... for Jack that was half of the appeal!

Anyway... I know it was something incredibly small, but it felt really good to be supporting him in something he wanted to learn more about and experience. It certainly gave me a good opportunity to think about my mom and dad and all that they did to encourage my budding brain and support me in my dreams. They were really excellent in that way, and I think about it all the time with the boys. I hope to do half as good as they did.

And now, I am off to bed. I am sick. Real live, flemmy-sore-throat-achey-painey-knock-me-over-with-a-feather SICK. Lame huh?!? 38 week pregnant ladies should be exempt from getting sick I think.

In other/better news: We heard our first ever Tornado Sirens last night!!! So exciting! The boys and I spent some time in the bathroom "riding out the storm," and then we called Gma Carmen and PaPa to reassure them we were safe (they watched the weather and were nervous for us), and Aunt Whit to tell her all about it. What more exciting news could little boys have to share with their Auntie than a tornado?!? Thankfully Aly could report to her "we didn't get struck-ed." All is well.

Goodnight.

8 comments:

Rachel and Todd said...

What a sweet story about your desire to whittle soap! I hope to meet your mom someday. :) I bet you are everything your mom was, and perhaps a bit more. I bet she was right with you as you made Jack's sushi. BTW, it looks incredibly yummy and beautiful! Did you use any kind of special rice? I've been itching to make sushi again, myself . . .

katers said...

I'm laughing so hard right now. YOU would be the girl to have soap whittling ambitions. ;) By the way, have I told you lately what a great mom you are? Cause you are. ;) Your sushi looks great.

By the way, what IS nori?

Unknown said...

Good for you! That's the kind of mom I want to be someday, too. You sure are doing a good job with your boys. It's not easy keeping kids healthy and entertained and intellectually stimulated at the same time, but making sushi is a great way to do it all. Great idea!

coryshay said...

Love it! You are such a great mom. Someday, I want to be half as good as you. And I'm with Katie, what is Nori? Doesn't sound good is all I'm saying...

So sorry you are so sick. Wish there was something I could do to help. You are right, there should be a pregnancy exemption.

Stephanie said...

Wow you are amazing! The sushi looks so professional. YOur kids are so cute. I love the dirty faces with Jack. I swear every night is bath night with boys.

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Uncle Bob would be proud (he makes sushi too)

Love you much!
Aunt Shir

Alysa Stewart said...

I loved soap whittling!

So I'm curious -- what food rules had to be bent by sushi?

I made sushi the other day, too. I was inspired by Rosemary Wells' book YOKO. It takes a lot of work! Now I know why good sushi is expensive.

For those asking, Nori is the seaweed that wraps the outside of the sushi.

Emily Dawn said...

Nori is so yummy! I break it up and add it to my salads. It is so so so good for you. That is amazing that jack will eat it.

You are a cute mom! Hope you feel better:)