My History

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Primary Program

Primary Program October 16th, 2011
Theme: I Know The Scriptures Are True



Jack's Line: The Priesthood power has been restored to this earth. I am blessed by this power when my father gives me a blessing when I am sick.

Alaster's Line: The scriptures are written by God's Prophets.

What we would like to remember about today years from now:

How Alaster sang my "I Love To See The Baby," version of "I Love To See The Temple," instead of the real words. (Woops! Maybe I need to stop changing the words to songs around here!)

How Jack and Alaster memorized their lines and delivered them beautifully! (And how Alaster didn't say "under God's Prophets," instead of "by God's Prophets," like he kept doing every time we practiced it.) And how reverent and sweet they were through the whole program!

How I could tell Jack needed to go potty towards the end, and I when I mouthed it and asked him from the audience, he mouthed back an anxious "I can't until the program is done!" It was so sweet :) He was swaying back and forth through the rest of the program, but I don't think anyone but me knew what was up.

How Alaster nearly knocked himself out with his copy of the scriptures as he enthusiastically hoisted them into the air, or rather when they descended from said hoisting, as the children sang the chorus of "Scripture Power." Thank heavens for his teacher, who intervened and gave him her case-less scriptures to hold up, rather than letting him continue to sling his encased ones. (which really was the cause of the problem)

How Jack looked right at me during much of the singing and how I couldn't keep a smile off my face. My mouth hurt by the end because I was just so proud and I wanted him to know it, and to know that I thought he was doing just beautifully!

Thinking about how Jack really does love the scriptures, and how I am so grateful that the Primary and his leaders/teachers have reinforced their importance to him this year. Jack has an innate spirituality, and he genuinely enjoys reading from the actual scriptures. He follows along so well when Corey and I read aloud at family scripture study, and sometimes he likes to read on his own at night time.

Watching Aly bob his head all over, lead the music with the chorister, pump his fists excitedly, and also make his hands beautifully-twirly-whirly with different parts of the songs. What is a 4 year old boy to do? One can't hold perfectly still the entire time, and we think he did pretty darn well!

Being grateful and feeling spoiled that the boys had Gram and Grandpa Burton/Casey and Kristine in the audience to support them. Jack and Aly were so excited that they came! And it was fun to have them there to laugh with us at how cute and how funny they were being.

Thinking about the Primary Leader's challenge to the parents to send the children with scriptures every week. We hadn't bought Jack and Aly their own copies yet (shame on us). But we accepted the challenge, and our family is better for it. You should have seen the boys anxiously awaiting their scriptures to come in the mail. Darling! You've never seen such excited faces as the day they arrived! They proudly and faithfully take their scriptures with them to church each week. (excepting one short stint when Aly lost his, but never-fear, they have returned!)

Feeling the Spirit strongly as the children sang "Scripture Power."
In addition to the traditional verses they also sang:

I want to be like Noah, Obedient to the Lord, Courageous like Queen Esther And Ammon with his sword. Like Ruth, I would be faithful. Like Moses, I'd be true. Examples in the scriptures Can teach me what to do.

I want to be like Daniel and stand up for the right; Like Joseph Smith, seek wisdom in prayer for heaven's light. Sariah's strength on journeys And Alma's change of heart Inspire me to choose wisely, Repent, and do my part.

I want to be like Mary, Rejoicing in the truth; Like Samuel and Moroni, Who listened in their youth. Examples in the scriptures Can help me to become Obedient, brave and holy - More like God's perfect Son.

So neat! We Love Primary!
And thank you Jack and Aly! We are so very proud of you!

4 comments:

coryshay said...

Such handsome boys!! They just put me in as second counselor in our presidency the week before our program (yesterday) and we did it twice... for our ward and for the senior branch that meets right after us. I'm exhausted today! But it was so great! And Jocelyn did a speaking part like the rest of the kids even though she's still in nursery. Great day :)

I am still giggling about Aly almost knocking himself out during scripture power!

deemom said...

HEY HEY those verses were not sung by our ward.... did your wonderful presidency write those? THAT WAS ABSOLUTELY DARLING.... love aunt deedee

Unknown said...

I wish I could have been there! Your boys looked so dapper in their Sunday best!

Cal and Whit said...

I so wish I could have been there. Cal and I looked and looked at those adorable boys pics, we can't seem to get enough. They look so studly in their church duds. I loved all the little memories of the day too, what a cute idea!