My History

Friday, October 21, 2011

Sewing Machines and Crossbows

It is with permission that I share the content of two recently received emails from my man that made me happy. They were oozing so much Corey-ness that I decided they just simply must be included on our blog for the sake of future posterity who might like to get to know him better.

Email #1 Was a Christmas Wish List... all of which he was dead serious about wanting although he recognized that price would exclude some of them as being actual possibilities for this Christmas given our current life circumstances. :) His list was links that took me to the following:

#1 A U of U Hat: (The one and only run-of-the-mill item on his list)
#2 A Mini Sewing Machine: (Corey does the darning, button fastening, and small item making at our house. He recently hand sewed the boys little totes for church from a pair of his old pants. I absolutely love that he likes to create and sew! He also does the ironing! Did I get me the perfect man or what?!?)
#3 Really Cool Binoculars: (Which I imagine he would use standing atop a grand mountain peak to watch a bald eagle or something flying in the distance.)


#4: A Crossbow: (Seriously. A Crossbow. Weapons are a part of his manly desires, which I don't particularly care for but which make me smile in spite of myself. He would use it for target practice and not much more. He doesn't have the desire to kill animals... except in cases of survival of course. He keeps insisting to me that this need (killing animals for our survival) is going to actually arise at some point. "And won't every one else feel foolish for not also having one?!?" So far he hasn't asked for gas masks, but I figure it's the next logical step in his mind. Is this reality to him or merely manly daydreaming?)


#5 L.L. Bean Rucksack: (The man has good taste, and an appreciation for items of quality.)
Email #2 Was the result of asking him to help create a 'family update,' type blog post. I asked him to jot down a few thoughts of things in our life that have recently changed, and things that have remained the same. Keep in mind he was writing this for me as reminders of things to include. He was not writing the post. Therefore, for some things we have one word instead of a well written Corey sentence. Know what I mean? Anyway here it is. Read it and then I will tell you why I loved it so:

Corey: School, New job, YM sec. and loving scouts, wrestled a grizzly bear and almost won (if you see a one-testicled grizzly bear, tell him I said Hi),

Ashlee: severely injured her calves during an unfortunate aerobics accident, subsequently recovered from said calf injury, still as sexy as ever, still RS presidente,

Jack: First grader, may have slightly broken his nose (not really), finished soccer, started piano, reading books to us like a champ, got his own scriptures

Alaster: Pre-schooler and loving it, learning to read and doing so well at it, still as funny and as cute as ever (maybe even cuter and funnier), doesn't like being cute but loves being funny, loves woody woodpecker, obsessed with penguins (real penguins, not the stupid fake penguins with bow-ties)

Truman: seems to be slowly and steadily inflating, is laughing, loves his new throne and bouncy toy, Looks a little like King Noah when he is sitting in his chair, sleeping on his side in order to reshape his flat head,

Family: still in Illinois, still pluggin' along, loving each other more and more, Everyone is getting older, no longer in the young new family category in the ward, soon moving into the has-a-kid-in-senior-primary category.

Why I loved this email: "loving each other more and more," um, yes. I love him. I also love that he always has a sense of humor in everything he does (Although in the spirit of total honesty I admit that I am embarrassed on occasion because of this. I'm sure you can guess which parts of the email that applies to). I love that he knows his kids so well and is so invested in their happiness. He is proud of them. He is sweet and affectionate with them... in the email and in real life. I love that he is honest about and happy with our life. I am happy too. I love that he did what I asked. He always does anything I ask him to, and many things I don't have to ask... he just does.

Well. Corey is in the room and he is becoming concerned about how much I have typed. I will end. I love you Corey, and I hope everyone reading learned something new about him today!

5 comments:

katers said...

This just TOTALLY reaffirmed to me that we need to be next door neighbors. Our husbands would be SUCH GOOD FRIENDS. Who knows? Maybe it's all in my head? But somehow I don't think so.

And what a Renaissance man you have! From sewing to survival. Seriously, when the world goes to hell in a handbasket, this guy's got you covered. I love it. And I'm jealous that he can do cool things like sew tote bags out of pants. Ridiculous as it is, I'm slightly daunted by the task of turning a white sheet into a ghost costume for Parker.

I'm feeling the need to end this comment with a cheer. Go Corey! Yay Corey! Everybody say YAHOO for Corey!

Glenda said...

So I loved Corey's list! Of course the best parts were the crossbow and the sewing machine :) That made me laugh so hard!

coryshay said...

That's quite the guy! You two are perfect for each other!

Unknown said...

very very sweet. We were lucky to have such unique and great men in our lives. And therefore, we are lucky to get such great kids in our lives, too! (I'm predicting that my future kids will be as good as Evangeline.... since your 3 boys have turned out so well :) It must be in their DNA!) I should ask Jeff to make a Christmas wish-list and a family update just to see what he says!

deemom said...

As soon as you figure out WHERE to get one of those COOL Sewing machines.... CALL ME!!!! I loved the whole post... You are an amazing woman.... I LOVE YOU DEARLY AND MISS YOU TERRIBLY.... love aunt deedee