My History

Thursday, April 5, 2012

So Blessed

I was recently talking to a friend about dancing in high school and college.
I described to him my schedule towards the end of the year when performances were eminent. It went a little somethin' like this:

6:00am-7:30am - Early Morning Rehearsal for Dance Company
--One Period (1hr 45min-ish) during school for Dance Company
3:00pm-4:30 or 5:00pm Teach Dance at my Studio to the Younger Classes
6:00pm-9:00pm Attend my own Classes/Rehearsals

(I'm the one in blue with the ridiculous look on my face.)

That was during the week.
Saturdays were also busy.
I think we entered the studio around 8:30am and left about 12:00 or 1:00pm?
I know for sure that I was waking up at sleepovers and leaving early enough that my friends were all still sleeping in order to get to the studio on time.

I was a busy gal in high school. In addition to dancing, I was in the Symphonic Band, served on the Seminary Council, was part of P.A.C.K, took AP Courses and had the time of my life socially. Major things were also happening in my family that required me to help out a lot at home, and I participated pretty fully in Young Womens.

I remember not being able to fall asleep some nights because my legs were throbbing, heavy with fatigue and pain.

(With my best dance friend Shayla)

As I described my insane schedule to this friend I ended with "...and you know? Even with how much I danced and how busy I was... when it was time to call it quits at the end of the night I remember still feeling a small moment of let down and sadness that I had to leave the studio and go home to bed."

I loved dancing. With all of my heart.
I loved it because I used my whole soul to express ideas, emotions and stories.
I love knowing that the soul is your body and spirit combined.

Dancing utilizes the soul in it's entirety.

It's exhilarating and addictive.
It's nourishing and therapeutic.
And even though I think I probably didn't have what it took to be professional (in ballet particularly)...
I was good enough that dancing made me feel articulate and beautiful.

(With my mom after a performance of Sleeping Beauty)

I have struggled with feelings of sadness at not having this passion be a part of my life anymore. There are times when my body literally aches to have those same feelings again (of which I have only minutely described here).

Yet as I was telling my friend about all of this feelings of gratitude washed over me.
How many people find something that they love that much which they have the means, abilities, and opportunities required to experience it as fully and wonderfully as I did?

The friendships and lessons that came to me as a result of dancing empowered me... they shaped me into a better and more complete person.
I thank my lucky stars (and my fantastic parents) that I got to experience all that I did! I truly was so blessed!

I hope that I can help the boys find something they are similarly passionate about.
It's a major mommy goal of mine!

PS- My dear friend Shayla sent me those pictures a couple of weeks ago. I have many more but they are all in prints. I don't have any digital files of them. I need to invest in a scanner! Thanks for these ones Shay!

4 comments:

Alysa Stewart said...

i love hearing about dancing from you. they have scanners at the libraries around here.

JaNae said...

Those pictures are awesome.

Amberlin Gefrom said...

That made me think about all of high school memories and stuff...so fun! Though I am not nearly as good of a dancer as you are, I do enjoy dancing..especially around the house like a fool when I am all around and stuff.

Diana said...

I know exactly how you feel. This is beautifully written. I think we were so lucky to have the experiences we did - and the friendships we did. My little sister started dancing in high school and though she has loved the freedom of movement and the amazing experience that comes with expressing yourself through dance - her experience has been so different than ours. The girls are mean and vindictive. They are NOT friends. So many of them live to tear each other down. It breaks my heart. She has grown into a beautiful dancer and I hope she keeps it up in college. But it has made me think a lot about how lucky we were to all be such friends. There was never any backstabbing or the likes. Even when the studio split, the girls all stayed friends. I think that is something pretty priceless. My husband talks about how unique that is. He played football in high school and loved it, and loved the guys he played with, but none of them are necessarily pals today whereas the girls we grew up dancing with are still some of my best friends. Pretty amazing. Thanks for the post!