My History

Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Favorite Mothering Moment for M Day

I'm the kind of gal that enjoys a special occasion.
Clearly.
I love our family traditions surrounding holidays and birthdays etc. that add color and uniqueness to our story.
But as much as I look forward to those days, I know that it's the little everyday moments that really make life grand.

One that I has made the greatest difference to us lately is our bedtime routine.
I have found that there is almost no day so dreadful, no feelings so hurt, no frustration so great that can't be overcome and soothed by spending that time together.
And if we're having a good day?
It's the icing on the cake! The perfect ending. The reward for good behavior from both child and parent.

There is nothing revolutionary about what we do.
We take baths, brush teeth and go potty. We pray. We study the scriptures. I read to them from a fun book. We give loves and turn out the lights.
Pretty standard stuff.

But I believe in the truth that one wise father once taught his son:
"...by small and simple things are great things brought to pass..."
And our hour or less bedtime routine is certainly a living example to me of the truth of that principle.

Reading out loud to them this year has been particularly great. We used to only read from picture books, but now we are in to chapter stories.
We are all loving the change... so much in fact that you can expect a Boys Bedtime Book Review in addition to C and A's reviews at the end of the year.

Right now we are reading "How to Train Your Dragon," by Cressida Cowell.
What a great book to read aloud! I do a pretty fantastic viking voice (if I do say so myself) and toothless is cracking us up!

Earlier this year we read "Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things," by Lenore Look. which among the entertainment provided some unexpected teaching opportunities as we watched Alvin struggle to make friends at school.

...just a few examples of how reading together has enriched our life and helped us end our days on a happy note... and I am so thankful for it!

I love being Jack, Alaster, and Truman's mom.
They are such good boys... each so different and priceless.
I love being Corey's wife.
He sacrifices so much to support me in my motherly role, and I am ever aware of how good he is to me.

On Mother's Day I try to give them all extra love and really wallow in the goodness of my life.
I try to think about and rededicate myself to being better because I know they all deserve the very best.
And of course, I thank my Heavenly Father. I don't even come close to deserving the life that He has blessed me with.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Women in my life! Whether you have children or not, you are inherently nurturers and I thank you for examples and love!

No comments: