My History

Friday, June 29, 2012

BRAVE

Have you seen it yet?
The boys saw it in 3D on a movie date with Gram and Grampa.

They came home happy as clams at high tide.

The next day they were apparently still thinking about the movie. They spent a good amount of time outside practicing their archery skills. Jack even fashioned himself an arrow with a stick (It took some actual work, and I loved watching him do it... so like his father!), and off they went! Jacks arrow flew surprisingly well. I couldn't believe how far/high he was making it go!

I'm not gonna lie... I was super jealous they got to go! So jealous in fact that Corey and I didn't wait too long before we went and saw it too.

I had a crummy day that ended with an unexpected night off for Corey (I'll take a bad day anytime if it ends that way!) so we sent an offer of a homemade dessert and a babysitting swap out to our nearby friends to see if anyone would come over last minute and be in our house while the boys slept. Jeff and Emily took us up on the offer. Thanks guys!

This counts as my in-the-theater movie pick of the year (Corey and I each get one). And I am happy with my choice. While I admit there were a few tiny things that irked me a bit, and a small sense of let-down that the movie wasn't as much of an adventure tale as the previews set it up to be, I hate to mention it because mostly it was a darling show!

Some things I loved:

-Merida is different than all other Disney princesses (while still being feminine). She isn't graceful... she is plucky and vibrant! I was endeared to her for both her strengths and her weaknesses. I can't think of another Disney princess that grows as significantly as she does.

-There is a full, loving family and the mother isn't evil! In fact... none of them are! The movie centers on the mother/daughter relationship and it's very touching. I cried. It was easy in some ways to compare Merida to Ariel and Jasmine, but I was much, much more satisfied with Merida's journey/conclusion.

-It's a beautiful and impressive film to watch. The scenery... her hair... the music... Ohhh! Somebody get me to Scotland and give me a horse! Let me loose on the moors where I will ride Fast and Hard! Wild and Free!

Honestly, I can't wait till it comes out on DVD. I will want to watch it again for sure. I will turn a blind eye to the things that bothered me because there is so much good there too.

And PS: Isn't Corey handsome in that picture?!?

1 comment:

coryshay said...

I don't comment on all your posts, but just know that I read them all and love them!

I'm glad you liked Brave. I need to go see it, but I think Jocelyn might be a bit young for it.