After two hours of carefully cutting various shapes and sizes of paper... after a trip to the library and 3 art books later... after eating 4 meals on the floor so as not to disturb our workspace:
Those were the final results.In case you are confused as to what they were supposed to be making... I was hoping for mosaics with a Truman-ey or birthday theme in celebration of our baby's big day. I knew the frames would be up with this weeks art and since we have family coming to the house on Saturday for a party... I thought it would be a fun way for them to contribute to the festivities.
Jack wanted to do a "T," which for one reason or another turned into a "t."
Don't worry. I never shared my opinion with him, and I think by the time he's old enough to read this blog he will be able to laugh at it. Let's face it folks, he's a talented kid. I feel like I can poke fun because he was clearly not applying himself.
If he had carefully made artistic decisions, spent a great amount of time and effort on it, became emotionally invested AT ALL in the project... well... that would be one thing. But I can assure you that he did not.
While they liked learning about mosaics and seeing examples of pretty incredible ones, I think they found making one themselves a bit tedious.
Alaster actually stuck with it for longer than Jack and had a great attitude. Look at what he did! :

Pretty good, huh? He chose the shape I did the pencil sketch to his exact specifications and off he went. I helped a little, but he did the majority of it. He wanted it chocolate... hence the brown. There is a red "T," for Truman on the front, and he was working on sprinkles for the top. I thought it was darling! And he was so excited!
But after a while he too lost interest and was never able to fully recover it... hence his bat sketch in the frame.
On an ordinary day I would have had a "Cest la Vie," attitude about it. But today... a truly bad day... I was more than a little disappointed.
Being a parent is no joke, you know that?
The worst part of today was that it didn't have to be as bad as it was. The boys misbehaved to be sure, but their mother did too. I wasn't the mom that I love to be today. I was physically and spiritually unprepared for the day and found (as I already knew) that without the Lord's help, I am a pretty lousy parent. I can stand to be disappointed in my children. It's much, much harder to be disappointed in myself.
Thank Heavens for repentance. I am happy to report that we at least ended the night well. Corey coming home for his 45 min break between jobs (his summer schedule is a little stinky!) made all the difference. It was the turning point in our day, and I think everyone was okay by bedtime.
And I end the day with fresh goals and resolutions to be better... to be closer to what my dear sweet boys deserve.
Speaking of bed. I really should go. I wish you all a Happy Friday tomorrow! Ours will be pretty non-stop what with a darling baby's birthday to prepare for! Sunday folks. One year!
But after a while he too lost interest and was never able to fully recover it... hence his bat sketch in the frame.
On an ordinary day I would have had a "Cest la Vie," attitude about it. But today... a truly bad day... I was more than a little disappointed.
Being a parent is no joke, you know that?
The worst part of today was that it didn't have to be as bad as it was. The boys misbehaved to be sure, but their mother did too. I wasn't the mom that I love to be today. I was physically and spiritually unprepared for the day and found (as I already knew) that without the Lord's help, I am a pretty lousy parent. I can stand to be disappointed in my children. It's much, much harder to be disappointed in myself.
Thank Heavens for repentance. I am happy to report that we at least ended the night well. Corey coming home for his 45 min break between jobs (his summer schedule is a little stinky!) made all the difference. It was the turning point in our day, and I think everyone was okay by bedtime.
And I end the day with fresh goals and resolutions to be better... to be closer to what my dear sweet boys deserve.
Speaking of bed. I really should go. I wish you all a Happy Friday tomorrow! Ours will be pretty non-stop what with a darling baby's birthday to prepare for! Sunday folks. One year!


2 comments:
Sorry you had a rough day. We missed you at book group although I completely sympathize with the need to stay home a relax/detox. Hopefully today is much better!
Meh. Art is hard with kids. (That little anyway....and boys.) Honestly....we don't do it as much as we should for that very reason right there. To have it turn out magically every time you pretty much have to do it yourself and then what's the point?! Don't be too down on it. Seriously....our homeschool days are like this more often than you would think. ;)
Post a Comment