My History

Monday, July 2, 2012

Lions, Pinterest Alternatives, and PROJECTS

For our art project last week I found something that said "boy," a bit stronger than our previous projects. I found another great resource for art lessons HERE, and went with his lion lesson HERE. Corey happened to be home so he joined in the fun. We all know that ANY artistic talent the boys have came from him!

We painted white paper brown since I didn't have any brown paper on hand.
Then we were ready to start the actual lesson. It begins by having the kids draw a small sketch of the tiger face before doing it on the large paper. We can do that... only uh-oh! I couldn't find the link to the art lesson!
I blame Pinterest's snobbery.
(I'm not on Facebook.)
(Crystal: I'm still totally flattered that you "pinned," one of my pictures. I just wish I could see it!)

Anyway, due to my lack of internet link organization I couldn't look up the lesson and see what the sketch was supposed to look like... meaning I had to do it from memory... meaning we are relying on MY art skills at this point.

Have you seen my stick figures?
Jack passed me up drawing better ones at age 2 1/2. And I'm not "afflicted with false modesty," people. I am just seriously that bad!
Well, we did the best we could... most of the family deviated from my sketch instructions and did their own. It was a good choice!

Next we painted the lion's mane. We got three colors... painted one down... passed it around... until voila! Our lions had manes! (Truthfully this was another point at which the lesson would have been helpful. I had remembered this part differently as well... Are you embarrassed for me yet?)
\
Stinkpot Truman was awake for the lesson. While we painted he ate stuff. Cans of food he pilfered from our exposed shelves... the camera case... cheerios...

This project was a messy one! Here we are at the stop and dry point #1:

Drying altogether... (Can you tell which lion belongs to which member of our family?)

(Top Left: Ashlee; Top Right: Jack; Bottom Left: Alaster; Bottom Right: Corey)

Poor Corey didn't get to finish his lion... it was off to work for him! The rest of us added paint details on the face when the mane was dry. Do you like our BLOOOOOOOD? That's different than the original lesson as well. We liked it better that way.

Something Helpful for Fellow Facebook Dissenters: I for one would still like a quick and easy way to save and organize internet links for future reference, wouldn't you? Check out WeHeartIt.com.

WARNING:
If Pinterest were Facebook... We Heart It would be MySpace. Basically the same idea only slightly trashier (no offense to anyone on MySpace, I have really only actually been to that site once, so I could very well be mistaken).
If you go to it, you will see what I mean on the homepage. I just didn't linger, signed myself up, and created a link on my desktop that takes me directly to my Heart Page (or whatever they call it). I only see my images. This works for me because I don't plan on becoming Heart Pals (or whatever they call it) with anyone. I will use it purely for organizational purposes... averting future awkward art moments and whatnot :)

No other extra home school projects to report for last week. We only completed one day of school instead of 3. We took a temporary hiatus so that I could get about 2/3 of the gajillion little spots around our house that have been driving me crazy taken care of. I even rented a carpet shampooer! Woop-de-woop!

When I enlisted Corey's help in the form of a Honey-Do list the following day we were really in trouble. In addition to other projects, Corey dismantled the boys bunkbeds HERE to create 2 separate beds. Doing this required a change to every other part of the room... so we both had plenty of work on our hands. While I was putting things back in place Corey, on a total whim, decided to use the wood the beds no longer required to make an outdoor table. I found him outside drilling away... happy as could be... despite the fact that our house was at the it-looks-much-much-worse-before-it-gets-better point of the day. I was a little put out until I saw his table. It's totally darling!

I haven't lost the organizing/project-ing/cleaning momentum quite yet, so I have been a busy girl. And I'm loving every minute of it!

3 comments:

katers said...

Those lions are really cool. My boys would like that project. ;) I've avoided pinterest as well....afraid of the time sink it would be for me. I still "bookmark" pages on my web browser. Go ahead and laugh.

Kiersten said...

I love pinterest for organizing websites! But I am not into the idea of using it as a social network. In fact, when I first heard about Pinterest I didn't quite trust it, so I created a fake twitter account with a false name just to see what it was. I never bothered to change my fake name, but I have kept up the account (the pinterest one, not the twitter). That probably sounds totally weird, but now I like the anonymity of not having to friend anyone--it's just purely for keeping track of things.

Those lions are very cute (hmmmmm, they are bloody, so maybe cute is not the right word, but they are pretty awesome). I might have to add that website to my stockpile of projects to try with kids later.

Sara Newton said...

Loved the lions! And if your house gets done but you still want to organize... Come o n over here!