Yesterday while lounging in the living room Corey read this quote aloud to me:
"Nearly all marriages, even happy ones, are mistakes; in the sense that almost certainly (in a more perfect world, or even with a little more care in this very imperfect one) both partners might be found more suitable mates. But the real soul-mate is the one you are actually married to."
J.R.R Tolkien, Letter to Michael Tolkien, March 1941
I looked over at him and without hesitation responded "Don't you believe that for one second Corey. There is no one in this world more suited to you than me."
And of course, I was thinking that the reverse of that second sentence is also true.
I think a lot about love.
As previously noted HERE I am a bit hopeless about it actually. (If you read that link though, I feel I must add that my views of Jane Eyre have been changed slightly by people more level headed than myself. Katie, Corey, I'm lookin' at you...)
I like to read about and hear different people's perspectives of all things love. I just finished the section entitled "Christian Marriage," in Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, and heartily enjoyed the time I spent with it. I have views about and questions pertaining to: what true love really is, the role of romance, the different forms love, what we should expect from love and what we shouldn't, what role heaven plays, love as a feeling, love as a choice and an action, what happiness in marriage looks like... and so on and so forth.
I am drawn to religious points of view and appreciate so much what I have learned from our church leaders on the subject. Yet even with their words, which should be noted are always definitive in my mind, I still find myself left with many questions... particularly as they pertain to my own experience and marriage.
Going back to what I said to Corey about the quote... which let's face it, I really do believe in principle that the quote is true...
I still really meant what I said. Truly.
And whether it is in actual fact true or not that Corey and I are more suited to one another than anyone else on the planet doesn't change the fact that I feel like we are.
So who cares what the truth is anyway?
"Nearly all marriages, even happy ones, are mistakes; in the sense that almost certainly (in a more perfect world, or even with a little more care in this very imperfect one) both partners might be found more suitable mates. But the real soul-mate is the one you are actually married to."
J.R.R Tolkien, Letter to Michael Tolkien, March 1941
I looked over at him and without hesitation responded "Don't you believe that for one second Corey. There is no one in this world more suited to you than me."
And of course, I was thinking that the reverse of that second sentence is also true.
I think a lot about love.
As previously noted HERE I am a bit hopeless about it actually. (If you read that link though, I feel I must add that my views of Jane Eyre have been changed slightly by people more level headed than myself. Katie, Corey, I'm lookin' at you...)
I like to read about and hear different people's perspectives of all things love. I just finished the section entitled "Christian Marriage," in Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, and heartily enjoyed the time I spent with it. I have views about and questions pertaining to: what true love really is, the role of romance, the different forms love, what we should expect from love and what we shouldn't, what role heaven plays, love as a feeling, love as a choice and an action, what happiness in marriage looks like... and so on and so forth.
I am drawn to religious points of view and appreciate so much what I have learned from our church leaders on the subject. Yet even with their words, which should be noted are always definitive in my mind, I still find myself left with many questions... particularly as they pertain to my own experience and marriage.
Going back to what I said to Corey about the quote... which let's face it, I really do believe in principle that the quote is true...
I still really meant what I said. Truly.
And whether it is in actual fact true or not that Corey and I are more suited to one another than anyone else on the planet doesn't change the fact that I feel like we are.
So who cares what the truth is anyway?
No comments:
Post a Comment