My History

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Philadelphia Story

A while back my friend Kiersten and I threw a little girls night.
On her recommendation we watched The Philadelphia Story starring Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Jimmy Stewart. It was great. I thought it was witty and fun in the moment but found I actually liked it even more the next day after some additional processing time. It was my first Katharine Hepburn film and I must say that I am a fan.

But enough about the movie. You want to know what we ate. I can feel it. Wellllll...

Kiersten brought an interesting and delightful treat, which was appropriate because Kiersten is interesting and delightful herself.
Have you ever had an Italian Soda?
Kiersten and Neal make their own syrups and have it on a regular basis apparently! We got to sample 3 different flavors: Vanilla Bean, Pomegranate, and a Lavender/Honey mix. Along with the syrups we added ice and seltzer water, and had the option of including cream and/or fresh squeezed lime juice. They were served up in Kiersten's good goblets which as she said, suited the both the era of the film and the posh actress in it.
Wonderful!

I made popcorn... what a snooze compared to Kiersten's contribution, eh? ... although I did use my new surprisingly cute dollar store popcorn buckets :)

And Holli brought Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake HERE which took a slightly different take on the Philadelphia theme. Cream cheese anyone???

Thank you to Kiersten Davis, Holli Burgon, Emily Savage, Marie Pack and Talitha Curtis for a lovely evening.
(PS: How fun I can use last names with abandon now that the blog is private!)

Other Girls Nights I Have Had Over the Past Few Months(No pictures):

-A Saved By the Bell Night (Oh yes we did!) with Sara Newton. Don't judge people... we actually talked through most of it.

-A very impromptu paint-your-toe-nails-and-watch-a-chick-flick night with Marie Pack, Emily Savage, and Catherine Cromar.

-A good old fashioned talk on the couch with one Marilee Johnson. (People in my Stake who know both Marilee and I are now skeptically wondering if I am actually cool enough to hang out with her. Answer: No. No, I'm not. But I am glad she came over anyway!)

and lastly...

-A series of Wednesday evenings spent with Alysa Stewart who has been reading THIS aloud to me. I work on projects and occasionally correct her pronunciation of ballet vocabulary... she entertains me and perfects her performance skills... it's a very symbiotic relationship.

PS- Since I mentioned my truly lovely friend Emily twice in this post... why don't I take a minute to introduce her new blog to you? It's called French Braids and Freezer Meals. Read her story for beginning it HERE. It's a wonderful idea that has been helpful to me already, and you may even see me contribute on occasion :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray! Thanks for the Fb&Fm shout out! And by the way, reading books aloud is one of my very favorite activities. Jeff and I like to do it on occasion. What a fun tradition you have with Alysa!

Kiersten said...

Thanks for a fun girl's night! And I love your job chart idea. I'm going to have to remember that. I was a terrible whiner about chores as a kid, so I know I shouldn't expect my kids to work without some kind of incentive or structure.